- July 17, 2006
- 28 minutes read
Human rights are violated in Bosnia, Interview with Harith Silagetch
Interview with Harith Silagetch, the former Bosnian prime minister , The war scenario will not reoccur.
Silagitich said our relationship with Arabic and Islamic world is weak adding that the matter is in our hands and we hope to improve this relation as soon as possible. As for the current parties in the Bosnian arena they are 47 parties, only 7 are active. Ilaf seized the opportunity of Silagitich’s presence in
– After the end of war at al-Balkan territory, how do you see the Muslim situation, taking into consideration that you come between
– What about the security situation in
It is good and irreproachable.
– Some people see that war scenario may reoccur, is it true?
I did not think so, because
– As for the separation of
Serb of Bosnia does not represent an independent republic as it is the case with
– What about your party platform?
Our platform is to maintain unity of
– Is your party a religious-based one?
Actually No, but it is a multiple party system that includes Muslim and non-Muslim
– Why did you oppose the constitutional reforms in
There are some parties, supported by foreign powers, seek after these reforms and consider them good because they are in their favor. Moreover, there are some independent members of parliament and parties voted against these reforms because we deem them artificial and cosmetic, rather being essential. They do not change the current situation resulted by Dayton Accords. Hence I decided with my parties’ members to change the constitution basically; in fact such artificial reforms stand in the way of true change.
– What about joining Europe
The procedures are still going on, and we have achieved a lot in terms of reform. I think that
– Is there any definite date for joining?
I think it will be in 2008.
– You’ve previously declared that you will run for the Bosnian presidential elections, what are your priorities?
I decided to participate especially after Peoples’ insistence, and in case I win the elections, I will work for achieving two principal objectives:
2- Moving the economic wheel especially in terms of investment.
– How do you evaluate your country relationship with the Islamic and Arabic world?
I admit that there are some defects in our relationship, and I think we are the cause, but the matter is in our hands, so we have to do our best and activate the relationship. We demand Muslims and Arabs to invest and help us as they did during the war time; actually our countries have the basic elements necessary for investment.
– How many active parties in
There are about 47 parties, but the active are 7 only.
What is your opinion concerning the claim of some political powers that
Unfortunately, these are gossips spread by extremely Serbs especially in American and European capitals and they have a political project, represented in consolidating what Milosovitch achieved, and I say that Muslims are a constructive element at the historical and practical levels.
– War criminals are free despite of massacre, what do you say?
They committed it against Bosnian and after all they were defeated despite of the insufficiency of our weapons; we live in peace while they are fugitives in forests and caves.
– What about your co-operation with NATO?
We will deepen it.
– What is the kind of relationship that you have with the neighbors especially those which were a part of old
What about the army, there are new bases in forming the army; are you going to change them, or do you have a special view?
It will depend on the new circumstances; I prefer a small number if applicable. The matter will be apt to change if needed, but if the neighbors behave normally I think there is no necessity to alter the current strategy. When conditions change, we will of course change our strategy. Moreover there are some important rules necessary to join NATO; we have to abide by these rules and take them into consideration.
– What about the bases of multinational forces in
The existence of such bases is very positive in the present time, we seek stability and safety, and these forces secure that. Actually, we are still in need of military and diplomatic existence even in symbolic numbers and it is possible to change that after years but now it is very important.