Amid curfew death continues to rule
Amid curfew death continues to rule
Monday, September 20,2010 12:15
The death toll in the ongoing Kashmir unrest mounted to 108 on Sunday with three injured youth succumbing to injuries and a 25-year old girl falling to the bullets of forces at Sopur in north Kashmir. Meanwhile, the authorities for the first time in past three months of unrest clamped a strict curfew on a day when Hurriyat had suspended the strike.
Girl killed in Sopur
Witnesses said a patrol party of forces which was on its way back to their camp at Wadoora “without any provocation” opened fire on pedestrians near Natipora in Sopur outskirts this evening. “One of the bullets hit Mubeena Akhtar daughter of Dr Ghulam Ahmad Wani. She was rushed to district hospital Sopur from where she was referred to SMHS hospital Srinagar where doctors declared her brought dead, locals said.
As the word about the incident spread in the area hundreds of people took to the streets and staged a massive pro-freedom demonstration. Protesters were demanding stern action against the killers.
3 youth succumb
Earlier police and hospital authorities said three youth succumbed to their injuries.
They said Muhammad Amin Ganai, 25, son of Muhammad Ramzan Ganai of Tappar, Pattan succumbed to his injuries on Saturday night at SKIMS, Soura.
Ganai was injured near Tapper Payeen, Pattan on Friday when police fired to disperse the protesters from several villages of Pattan and Palhallan, who had defied curfew and marched towards Srinagar-Varmul highway.
Doctors said Ganai had firearm injury and his spine was shattered.
He is the second causality of the Friday’s firing. One person, Ghulam Rasool Bhat son of Ghulam Muhammad Bhat of Tapper, was killed on Friday in the same firing incident.
Another person injured during police action at Sangam, Bijbhera in south Kashmir’s Islamabad district breathed his last this morning at SKIMS, Soura.
Shabir Ahmad Dar, 25, son of Muhammad Ayub Dar of Lider-mund, Pulwama succumbed today. He had sustained firearm injuries in his abdomen at Sangam on September 13.
“His liver and diaphragm were grossly damaged,” said a senior doctor at SKIMS.
At SMHS hospital here, another youth from south Kashmir’s Islamabad district, breathed his last.
Massive pro-freedom demonstrations rocked the peripheries of Sangam area after the news about Shabir’s death spread in the area. Protest demonstrations against the killing were also held at Nayinoo. Dozens of youth were rounded up by the police during over night raids in old town Islamabad and Bijbehara town, locals alleged.
Doctors at SMHS hospital said Bilal Ahmad Najar son of Ghulam Mohi-ud-din Najar of Khanabal had sustained multiple pellet injuries in the vessels of pelvic and abdominal region.
“He succumbed today,” said a doctor.
As soon as Bilal’s body reached his native village in Khanabal, many people from the interior areas; Nathpora, Nandpoora, Batengoo, Pushwara, Hanji Danter, Mir Danter, Batpora, Zadipora and Harnag came out on streets and participated in his funeral prayers in a local park at Khanbal as there was stringent curfew outside.
The body of the deceased was laid to rest in a local graveyard. Elsewhere in the town stringent curfew was put in place and force personnel were seen guarding the narrow lanes and by-lanes of the old town as well as the civil line areas of Khanabal-Pahalgam (K.P) road. Late in the evening the police vehicle fitted with loudspeakers while warning people against venturing out of their homes announced that the night curfew will remain imposed in the town. Despite Hurriyat break, curfew on
Meanwhile, authorities today—for the first time since the unrest began in June—cracked whip and clamped curfew in the Valley on the day when Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani had suspended strike as per the protest calendar.
Police and CRPF sealed all the roads and made announcements over public address systems asking people to stay indoors or they will shot at.
Police, however, today said they were complying with the orders of the respective district magistrates of the Kashmir valley who have imposed restrictions under section 144 CrPC to “bring the situation under control and minimize causalities.”
Police said instructions have been given to all the Station House Officers to ensure that the medicines and essentials commodities are made available to people.
Police Speaks
Meanwhile, a police spokesman said that there were no reports of any untoward incident from any part of the Valley today.
“Situation at this hour continues to remain normal and under control. Highway remained open from Srinagar – Jammu and Srinagar – Uri,” he said.
“Strict curfew restrictions were in place in Srinagar City, within the jurisdiction of Police station Budgam,Chadoora,and Charar-i-Shrief,in Budgam district,Kangan,Ganderbal,Anantnag (Islamabad),Bijbehara,Kulgam town,Qoimoh,Pulwama town,Kakapora,Litter Pulwama, Shopian town,Awantipora,Lethpora,Pampore,Kunzer,Tangmarg,Pattan,Baramulla (Varmul),Delina,Pahalgam,Tapper Pattan, Sopur town, Kralpora,Trehgam,Kupwara town,Handwara, Chotipora, Kulangam, Bandipore town, and Sumbal.
Lady injured in Bomai
“At the time of withdrawal a mob pelted stones on forces in Nathipora, Bomai falling under the jurisdiction of police post Bomai. In an effort to bring situation under control, one lady Mubeena daughter of Ghulam Ahmad Wani of Nathipora suffered injuries. She has been referred to Srinagar. Some force personnel have also got injured,” the police spokesman added.