In the recent period, several statements were spread through various media outlets in an attempt to implicate the Muslim Brotherhood, starting with the statement issued by the Ministry of Interior of the military coup in Egypt after the arbitrary detention and indictment of Dr. Abd Al Mon'im Aboul Fotouh, the chairman of Misr Al Qawiyya Party. The statement includes lies and fabrications which were repeated by other parties using the name of the group, such as the so-called 'General Office' and others.
In view of the above, the Muslim Brotherhood, with all its institutions, and after examining this matter, reaffirms the following principles and positions:
1. The Muslim Brotherhood reconfirms its commitment to peaceful approach in bringing about the change it has sought according to its Islamic project and its rejection of and resistance to the military coup that took place on July 3, 2013 toppling the legitimate government in Egypt.
The Muslim Brotherhood affirms that those who do not adhere to this approach (individuals or entities) do not belong to the Muslim Brotherhood organizationally or ideologically and are no longer part of it, since they’re not committed to its methodology and ideology, even if they claim otherwise.
2. The official opinion that expresses the positions of the Muslim Brotherhood is issued in accordance with its known rules and frameworks, and any statement not issued by this route does not constitute an opinion or direction or formal decision of the organization in any way.
The official opinion that expresses the positions of the group is issued through the following channels only:
- Dr. Mahmoud Ezzat, Interim Chairman
- Mr. Ibrahim Mounir, Deputy Chairman
- Dr. Mahmoud Hussein, Secretary-General
- Official spokespersons: Dr Talaat Fahmy, Mr. Hassan Saleh, Mr. Ahmed Assem, Ms. Eman Mahmoud
3. The Muslim Brotherhood calls on various media outlets, in their quest to identify the group's positions and visions, to commit themselves only to the above mentioned sources, and the group affirms that everything emanating from others does not represent the group in any way and has nothing to do with it or with any of its official institutions.
Sunday, 2 Jumada II, 1439 AH
February 18, 2018