Statement from the Muslim Brotherhood regarding the political scene in Egypt
In the name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful
All Praise be to Allah, and prayers and peace be upon the Messenger of Allah, his family, his companions, and those who follow him…
Allah Almighty says: “O you who have believed, fear Allah and be with those who are true.” (Quran 9:119)
And He says: “Allah keeps firm those who believe, with the firm word, in the worldly life and in the Hereafter, and Allah sends astray the wrongdoers. And Allah does what He wills.” (Quran 14:27)
In the shadow of the painful reality that Egypt is experiencing, its effects are reflected on the political, economic, and social life, resulting in the diminishing of Egypt regionally and globally, the spread of corruption, and unprecedented suppression of freedoms. Recognizing the seriousness of the historical phase that the country is going through, the Muslim Brotherhood, as a national Egyptian group, sees the necessity to clarify a number of general determinants for its vision of the Egyptian political scene as follows:
- The group’s principal stance towards the current regime is that it is a rejected coup, and the group does not recognize its legitimacy, no matter how long it lasts. The leadership of the group, whether in prisons or present inside or outside Egypt, as well as its institutions, hold the same position, which was decided by the General Shura Council and repeatedly affirmed.
- The Brotherhood is always open to participation with all Egyptian national forces ready for joint national work. Our priority in the current stage is to establish a political communication environment aimed at developing our relationship with political forces and opening up to them, and building bridges that allow the building of trust between all parties, gradually removing the effects of previous periods of political polarization.
- We believe in the importance of a transitional phase after this regime, leaning towards concordance, then another phase of partnership, where everyone bears the responsibility. No single faction will be able to take on the responsibility of managing the state in its current situation. After that, the groundwork for a real competitive phase is prepared.
- The Muslim Brotherhood sees the necessity of setting a comprehensive vision for changing this reality, from which no component of Egyptian political and social life is excluded. The Brotherhood will not dominate the political scene, nor will they fall behind in their duty to participate and bear responsibility.
- The group affirms that the rights of the martyrs do not expire with time, and the group will continue to work to reclaim their rights and the rights of their families, as well as the rights of the detainees to obtain their freedoms, restore their status, and compensate them, along with those harmed by the coup. This includes all segments of the Egyptian people, regardless of their affiliations.
- The group believes that the vision and practices of the current regime establish a repressive totalitarian system in which political opponents are not allowed, to prevent the recurrence of what happened on January 25, 2011. Any elections under this regime, which is involved in the shedding of Egyptian blood, are a charade that will not produce any change to the painful reality, but will lead to the perpetuation and continuation of this regime and its practices and the violation of the rights of the Egyptian people.
- Our vision for state institutions is the necessity of preserving them, as they belong to the Egyptian people – while purging them from corruption – so they can perform their constitutionally mandated roles.
- We urge everyone to get to know the group’s positions through its official sources, which are:
- The official website of the group: Ikhwan Online ikhwanonline.com
- The group’s media spokespersons inside and outside Egypt.
Allahu is the Greatest, and all praise is due to him.
The “Muslim Brotherhood”
Cairo, 10 Rabi’ al-Awwal 1445 – September 25, 2023