Tunisia: Ennahdha Party Statement following announcement of preliminary findings of investigation into assassination of Chokri Belaid
Following the announcement of preliminary findings of the investigation which indicate the implication of radical extremists in the assasination of the late Chokri Belaid, Ennahdha Party:
– Renews its strong condemnation of this heinous crime which targeted a prominent political figure and endangered civil peace and co-existence among Tunisians.
– Expresses appreciation to the security services and judicial authorities and all those who contributed to the investigation, to revealing the truth and identifying the perpetrators.
– Regards the perpetrators as criminals deserving severe punishment matching the gravity of their crime and regards anyone proven to be implicated in supporting them or facilitating their crime to be a partner in this crime.
– Denounces all those who directed baseless accusations at Ennahdha or other politicians and maintains its right to bring legal cases against those who accused its leaders and incited violence against them.
– Calls on all political parties, civil society associations and all Tunisians committed to the revolution to work in solidarity and cooperation so as not to give any chance to those who wish to drag the country towards violence and in-fighting.
– Calls on Tunisia’s youth to promote moderate thought and balance which eschews takfir and violence.